So you want to bring your group on a trip that engages with other cultures? That introduces complex issues like poverty, housing conditions, or community health? Helps build cultural humility? A mission trip that doesn’t require your students/volunteers to have a passport? Maybe a trip that is a little closer to home? We think FIRM might be a good place to start!
We regularly welcome groups to serve at FIRM, including youth groups, student clubs, adult groups (even groups of seniors) and mixed age groups. The first step is checking out our website. Look at what programs and services we are currently providing to Fresno refugee communities.
The next step is initiating contact with us. Ask us any questions you have, tell us where you are traveling from, and offer some potential dates for your group’s trip. Summer and spring break are great times for your service trip. We will design a trip that best meets the need of your group, and can introduce you to other partners in the Fresno area.
Some examples of what many teams experience on their trip to FIRM:
- Cultural Orientation with stories from refugees
- Service projects at FIRM
- Learn key phrases in languages spoken by refugees in Fresno
- FIRM Family Festival with the Summerset community
- Hosting a soccer or volleyball day for the refugee community
- Practicing English and helping with homework with children who have come to the US in the last few years
- Help elders study for the Citizenship test
- Experiencing a church service in a Hmong, Laotian or Slavic church
- Visiting a Buddhist temple or Muslim mosque
- Group reflections on migration and refugee stories from the past or present
- Help set up a new apartment for a refugee family
- Help welcome a new family to Fresno at the Fresno Airport!
- Host a “Donation Shopping Day” for refugees and neighbors to come shop
- Experiencing a local pho restaurant
- Experiencing a homecooked Syrian meal hosted by a recently arrived family
- AND MUCH MORE!
Other Important Details:
- Volunteers can be of all ages
- One adult required on site for every five youth
- Cost to your group is $30 per person per day, to cover staff time, interpretation and group cultural training
- Depending on projects, additional minimal supply costs may be necessary