So you want to bring your group on a trip that engages with other cultures? That introduces complex issues like poverty, housing conditions, or community health? Helps build cultural humility? A mission trip that doesn’t require your students/volunteers to have a passport? Maybe a trip that is a little closer to home? We think FIRM might be a good place to start!
We regularly welcome groups to serve at FIRM, including youth groups, student clubs, adult groups (even groups of seniors) and mixed age groups. The first step is checking out our website. Look at what programs and services we are currently providing to Fresno refugee communities.
The next step is initiating contact with us. We recommend filling out this service trip inquiry form. Ask us any questions you have, tell us where you are traveling from, and offer some potential dates for your group’s trip. Summer and spring break are great times for your service trip. We will design a trip that best meets the need of your group, and can introduce you to other partners in the Fresno area.
Some examples of what many teams experience on their trip to FIRM:
- Cultural Orientation with stories from refugees
- Service projects at FIRM
- Learn traditional Laotian dance
- FIRM Family Festival with the Southeast Asian refugee community
- Hosting a summer carnival for the refugee community
- Help elders study for the Citizenship test
- Experiencing a church service in a Hmong, Laotian or Slavic church
- Group reflections on migration and refugee stories from the past or present
- Experiencing a local pho restaurant
- AND MUCH MORE!
Other Important Details:
- Volunteers can be of all ages
- One adult required on site for every five youth
- Cost to your group is $15 per person per day, to cover staff time and group cultural training
- Depending on projects, additional minimal supply costs may be necessary
- FIRM staff will assist your team with accommodations either on campus (additional $10/per person, per day fee) OR at local options such as California State University, Fresno